APC Overnight: packing advice
Guidance on packing your items for APC Overnight’s safe delivery:
- Always use strong, good-quality boxes or packaging materials, we recommend a minimum of a 2-ply outer cardboard box for transit through the network
- If you are reusing packaging, always remove old labels including any hazardous materials information stickers and ensure that the box has no visible damage
- Always use the correct-sized box for your items – if the box is too large it could collapse and, likewise, if the box is too small it could burst during transit. Use bubble wrap, shreds, packaging chips, even old newspapers to secure your items
- Be sensible about the weight of items that you put in a box – don't overload boxes
- Identifiable and sought-after goods in manufactures own packing should always be outer boxed or bagged for protection and security
- Make sure that liquids, semi-liquids, powders or strong smelling substances are properly sealed in leak-proof containers and further wrapped in sealed plastic bags and stored upright in a strong box (minimum 2 ply) and correctly labelled with ‘arrow up’ stickers
- Wines and spirits – for single bottle items ensure that the bottle is secured within a box and either has a rigid neck support or is wrapped in bubble wrap before being placed into an outer box for transit. Firstly pack bottles into an inner box, and then add rigid outer packaging for extra protection. Use corrugated cardboard or foam dividers, ideally use bespoke packaging when shipping bottles.
- Fragile items should be well cushioned from the sides and particularly at the bottom of the boxes. Label boxes as fragile and include ‘arrow up‘ stickers.
- Always protect sharp items securely, carefully wrapping any scissors or knives to protect them from piercing through packaging materials
- Use strong packaging tape or a strapping machine to secure parcels (not domestic adhesive tape), making sure all flaps are securely fastened
- All labels should be printed and clear to read, please use a laser printer if printing on paper, the placement of the label is also important to ensure that it can be scanned
- Include both address and sender details inside so that even if the outer label becomes detached, APC Overnight can still safely deliver your parcel.
- APC Overnight is an ambient network- we do not provide refrigerated vehicles within the Network. Goods of a perishable nature should be packed using coolant gel packs / insulating packaging / reusable ice packs or dry ice as a means to keep goods fresh
We’re afraid we can’t accept any liability for this packaging advice, but we hope it will help you pack items responsibly and securely for their onward journey.
How is Your Packaging?
Click here to download our Packaging Guidelines.
Click here to download our Label Guidelines.